- The provisions of Art. 25 (B) para 5-9 and Art. 26 (B) para 6 and 7 of Regulation (EC) No 987/2009 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 16 September 2009 paying down the procedure for implementing Regulation (EC) No 883/2004 on the coordination of social security systems;
- The provisions of Directive 2011/24/EU of the European Parliament and of the Council on the application of patients` rights in cross-border healthcare;
- The provisions of a social security Agreement / Contract concluded, promulgated and enetered into force – in cases where the Agreement / Contract expressly provides for reimbursement of medical assistance costs.
Required documents for reimbursement application:
- In order to reimburse the costs for necessary medical assistance or appropriate (planned) treatment in accordance with Regulation (EC) No 987/2009 and international social security Agreements / Contracts including health insurance coverage, it is necessary to apply (The application) in accordance with the form approved by the National Health Insurance Fund Manager. You can submit your application at the Central Office of the NHIF (the NHIF Central Office) or at the Regional Health Insurance Fund at the place of choice of the GP.
- The application must be accompanied by the following documents:
- 1. A self-authenticated “True to the Original” stamp, a copy of the identity document of the person using the assistance or a copy of the passport (in cases where medical assistance is provided to a minor);
- 2. Originals of a cost supporting documents with a translation agains which the medical assistance has been paid (invoices, liquidations, receipts, etc.);
- 3. Originals of payment documents with official translation certifying the received and paid medical assistance;
- 4. A copy of medical documentation with official translation certifying the paid medical assistance and its period;
- 5. Document issued by the respective bank, in confirmation of the data on the personal IBAN bank account number in BGN of the person or a copy thereof, the copy shall be self-authenticated with the “True to the Original” stamp.
- 6. A notarized copy of a document certifying the capacity of a parent (for persons under 14 years of age) / guardian (for disabled persons), custodian;
- 7. A notarized Power of Attorney (upon submission of the application by a proxy), which explicity states that the proxy is authorized to submit an application and relevant documents to the NHIF for reimbursement of costs for rendered necessary medical assistance / rendered appropriate (planned) treatment in a specific case, and on what base the reimbursement should be made;
- 8. A certificate of the heirs of the person (original or notarized copy) to whom medical assistance was provided.
- If you are applying reimbursement of the full or part of the costs for received appropriate (planned) treatment, you must attach to the application documents the original of the authorization for appropriate (planned) treatment issued by the NHIF (S2 Form “Planned Treatment Right”).
- If you are submitting an application as an heir/s, the copy of the document certifying the personal IBAN bank account number in BGN of the legator shall be authenticated with the “True to the Original” stamp by the heir/s. Where all the legator`s bank accounts are closed, you must provide:
- 1. A copy of a document issued by the respective bank confirming the data on the personal IBAN number of an opened by the heirs joint bank account in BGN (self-authenticated by them with the “True to the Original” stamp), or
- 2. A copy of a document issued by the respective bank confirming the data of the personal IBAN number of a personal bank account in BGN of one of the heirs (self-authenticated with the “True to the Original” stamp), and notarized declarations from the heirs that they agree, the amount to be reimbursed from the NHIF budget, to be transfer into the personal bank account of the first heir.
- If the application is submitted by a person aged 14 to 18, as well as by a disabled person, it shall be signed also by a parent, respectively a guardian.
Note: The entries in the application shall be clearly legible and the names shall be written without any abbreviations in Cyrillic and Latin, as they appear in the respective identity document.
You can send your questions regarding reimbursement of costs to the following e-mail: [email protected]